Our Family

Our Family
DAC Family At Devin & Ashley's wedding Aug 2007

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008 at the Guatemala MTC

Alongside the Nativity scene at the Guatemala Temple

Dinner in our apartment with the Branch Presidencies...farewell to Hernandez' (right) and Falabella's (left). Nelly is like my Latin sister and I wanted to hold that baby more.

The wall hanging is a touch of home...quilted by Chalonn.

There are many different versions of this nativity, decorated according to region and dress. This is my favorite with the red color. I searched long and hard for this particular set.

Foyer of the CCM with Nativity and focus of the Savior...complete with missionaries

Our little apartment trees with decorations (and reminders) from the past

Dinner with all the instructors of the CCM...in our new gym just completed.

The senior missionaries brought a program, tons of cookies and a surprise visit from Santa to the CCM on Christmas Eve


Christmas Eve ended with President sharing a spiritual message and then we gave out these filled stockings to each one. The spirit was sweet and fulfilling. Feelings were tender, but most hearts were happy.

Christmas morning service...painting the cafeteria, kitchen, and walls of an orphanage and cleaning up a big pile of garbage. The children were gone, but we got a lot done in 3 1/2 hours. It was a happy, energizing feeling for all.

Orphanage owner, Tio Juan (Uncle John) on left. This is one wall painted and the happy missionaries serving.

End result in the cafeteria. Isn't it brightened and lively for the girls who will return!

Painting the outer walls of the dorms. We had a great Christmas morning. The missionaries were able to call their families in the afternoon, and we enjoyed a special feature DVD with Tabernacle Choir and Sissel in the evening.

5 comments:

Taneil said...

Wow! IT sounds like you've had a busier christmas that even I did. I thought it would slow down when your kids all grew up!! Another myth huh! Merry Christmas!

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Hello there Aunt & Uncle! I really enjoy your blog! I loved this Christmas post, you seem like you are doing really well & I love all the photographs! Merry Christmas, we all love you & are so proud of what you are doing!

Chalonn said...

Wow...it looks like you had a festive Christmas, even in Guatemala! I love your decorations around your apt and the CCM. I love the ball of bulbs you had on your table. I love the nativity's. Your Christmas dinner doesn't look too shabby either...We missed you, but glad to see what you did that day!

The Probert Family said...

I don't know why but this post makes me so happy. It looks like you had a very special and memorable Christmas. I'm sure it was so awesome for the missionaries. You guys are so great. i just feel proud of my Mom and Dad and happy for the experiences you are having and creating for others. Also, I love the vase of bulbs on your table, too. That baby is so cute. Tell me more about Nelly.

Newell and Julienne Fam said...

It is so fun to find the Christensen blogs! It is strange how the mind stops time and you think that everyone should look the same, but everyone is all grown up! What a fun mission to go to! My sister Melissa got to go to Guatemala last spring with BYU-I and loved it, she will be excited when I tell her you are on your mission there! My parents live in Aurora, CO for the last 3 years and my dad just got made a bishop. I have a blog at newellandjuliennefamily.blogspot.com if you want to check us out, you will see how we have all changed as well;)! Take care